What we do with your personally identifiable information
It is always up to you whether to disclose personally identifiable information to us, although if you elect not to do so, we reserve the right not to register you as a user or provide you with any products or services. “Personally identifiable information” means information that can be used to identify you as an individual, such as, for example:
- Personal identifiers, contacts and characteristics (name, address, email address, date of birth, place of birth, and telephone numbers)
- Customer payment information, where necessary.
- Online identifiers such as IP address and location data.
If you do provide personally identifiable information to us, either directly or through a reseller or other business partner, we will:
- li>not sell or rent it to a third party without your permission — although unless you opt out (see below), we may use your contact information to provide you with information we believe you need to know or may find useful, such as (for example) news about our services and products and modifications to the Terms and Conditions;
- take commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information from loss, misuse and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction;
- not use or disclose the information except:
- as necessary to provide services or products you have ordered, such as (for example) by providing it to a carrier to deliver products you have ordered;
- in the aggregate with other information in such a way so that your identity cannot reasonably be determined (for example, statistical compilations);
- as required by law, for example, in response to a search warrant;
- to outside auditors who have agreed to keep the information confidential;
- as necessary to enforce the Terms and Conditions;
- as necessary to protect the rights, safety, or property of Birthlink, its users, or others; this may include (for example) exchanging information with other organisations for fraud protection and/or risk reduction.
Other information we collect
We may collect other information that cannot be readily used to identify you, such as (for example) the domain name and IP address of your computer. We may use this information, individually or in the aggregate, for technical administration of our website(s); research and development; customer and account administration; and to help us focus our marketing efforts more precisely.
External data storage sites
We may store your data on servers provided by third party hosting vendors with whom we have contracted.